Thai Tea is one of those drinks that you never forget. The first time I tried it I was instantly hooked. From the bright orange color to the sweetness and subtle bitterness from the tea is a great combination for anyone to try. A popular drink in Thailand it can be sweetened by adding creamer or sugar. Thai Tea is often brewed with black tea such as ceylon or assam tea. Let's make the perfect Thai Tea with this great recipe:
- 3/4 C Black Tea Leaves (approximately 3 oz.) Tip: Ceylon or Assam are best.
- Ground tamarind or other spices (optional)
- 6 C boiling water
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C sweetened condensed milk
- 1 C evaporated milk, whole milk, half and half, or coconut milk
1) Steep the tea leaves (and any optional spices) in water for 5 minutes, then take out the tea leaves from the water.
2) While the tea is still hot, stir in sugar until dissolved, then stir in condensed milk.
3) Let tea sit for awhile until room temperature.
4) Fill tall iced tea glasses with ice, and pour in tea mixture until glasses are roughly 3/4 full.
5) Top off glasses with evaporated milk, whole milk or coconut milk, but do not stir
Tip: Keep Milk as a separate top layer.
This recipe will make up to 6 glasses of Thai Tea. Enjoy.